It has been six months since Joseph ‘Jowie’ Irungu was arrested and jailed over the brutal murder of 29-year-old businesswoman Monicah Kimani.
On Wednesday, Jowie withdrew his application for the bail meaning he will remain incarcerated.
Jowie was charged alongside Citizen TV journalist Jacque Maribe, who was released on Sh1 million bail.
Jacque withdrew an application she had filed seeking to compel the DPP’s office to release her car.
The two had forlorn expressions of their faces and the body language spoke volumes.
Lawyer Katwa Kigen told the court that after consultations they had decided to withdraw the application for the release of her Toyota Allion.
State Counsel Catherine Mwaniki told Justice James Wakiaga that they had consented with the defence to use photographs of the car as evidence in their murder case.
Last year, Jacque filed an application, seeking to have the DPP cited for contempt for failing to avail all materials the prosecution intends to use. They include her house, vehicle and mobile phone.
But Otieno said if the phone and the vehicle are released to Jacque, there is a high possibility she will destroy the prosecution’s evidence before it is submitted to the court.
Maribe had sought to have prosecution counsel Catherine Mwaniki disqualified from the case. But Otieno said the DPP cannot be told who should or should not prosecute any criminal matter.
Last year Jacque was charged Irungu alias Jowie, with the murder of businesswoman Kimani.
They both denied the charge. The case will be mentioned on May 7.
PHOTOS BY COLLINS KWEYU