Nyanza Regional police commander Karanja Muiruri

The Nyanza Regional police commander Karanja Muiruri was Monday recalled to police headquarters in swift changes.

This was after commanders at the police headquarters said they were not impressed with the way he handled protests in the area.

Former Eastern Regional police commander Noah Mwivanda was sent to Nyanza to take over and coordinate operations.

Mwivanda is not new in the area as he had in the past served in the same capacity in the region.

Muiruri was recalled to police headquarters to wait for new allocations.

Sources said some commanders in Nairobi had blamed him for the manner in which he handled the protests, saying he was lenient to the protesters.

Mwivanda commanded the operations on Monday, March 27, in the region that left at least one person shot dead in Kisumu and two injured in Migori.

Dozens of police officers were sent to major towns including Kisii, Nyamira, and Homa Bay to contain the protests.

The Isebania-Kisii highway was heavily manned by police who dispersed protesters who had blocked it for hours affecting traffic flow.

The Independent Policing Oversight Authority said Monday they are investigating the shootings that took place in the area.

Chairperson Anne Makori said they monitored how the police engaged in public order management in the protests called for by the Azimio la Umoja–One Kenya Coalition Party across the country.

The Authority has noted and taken up four matters for investigation which will seek to establish the level of police compliance with Article 244 of the Constitution, the Public Order Act and any other laws related to public management and the use of force.

The matters under investigation include but are not limited to the Kisumu fatal shooting, that of Migori and where police failed to provide security to private property in Nairobi.

This is in relation to the attack on the property of former president Uhuru Kenyatta and Azimio leader Raila Odinga in Ruiru and Industrial Area.

Goons raided the farm in Ruiru and stole more than 4,000 sheep and goats before setting on fire a section of grass there.

Another group went to Raila’s gas cylinder factory and stoned it before escaping. No police were on site.

“The Authority strongly calls upon the police to abide by the law in exercising their constitutional function of protection of life and property in line with the National Police Service Act, Section 24 (d),” said Makori.