Another student from Mukumu Girls' High School has died while undergoing treatment at Kakamega County Hospital.
This is after a diarrhoea outbreak was reported in the school.
According to Nation.Africa, Kakamega County Health executive Bernard Wesonga said four girls remain hospitalised.
The outbreak saw over 124 students hospitalised at the Kakamega County General Hospital in a suspected case of food and water poisoning.
This now brings to three, the total number of students who have died in a span of one week.
It was reported that more than 500 students have been infected by the bacteria.
On April 3, the school was shut down by public health officers in Kakamega.
Health CS Susan Nakhumicha Wafula confirmed that contamination of food and water led to the deaths.
The CS said preliminary investigations from samples sent to the Kenya Medical Research Institute laboratory in Kisumu tested positive for bacterial infections linked to gastroenteritis (a bacterial infection that causes diarrhoea and vomiting).
She said some students had been infected with salmonella typhii (a bacteria that causes typhoid) and amebiasis (a parasitic infection of the intestines that causes stomach pain and diarrhoea).