Police are investigating an incident in which a two and half-year-old Ugandan boy died after ingesting a poisonous chemical in Kiambu.

Martin Lukholo is said to have swallowed the chemical that he picked at their neighbour’s house on May 4 in Kagongo village in Ndenderu, police said.

According to police, the boy is said to have found a bottle containing the poisonous chemical on the table of the neighbour’s house and swallowed the contents.

On realizing the boy had swallowed the chemical, the owners of the house disposed of the bottle into a pit latrine as others rushed him to hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The parents of the boy were in their house at the time of the incident.

Police secured the latrine and retrieved the bottle for tests and analysis of the said poison.

They said they had opened a murder probe into the incident and have so far talked to witnesses who were present.

The body was moved to the mortuary pending further probe.

Meanwhile, a mason died after falling from the seventh floor of a building that is under construction in Pangani.

The body of Muthui Mwendwa, 25, was discovered on the ground floor of the building.

Police who visited the scene realized the mason was with other masons on the seventh floor of the structure when he slid and fell off.

He fell on face first dying on the spot in the May 5 incident. Police say they have asked officials from the National Construction Authority and the county government to join in the probe.

Such incidents have been on the rise in the past amid calls for safety measures to tame them.

Police say most of the contractors do not provide their workers with protection gear amid calls on agencies to implement the rules.