All primary and secondary day schools within Kisumu, Nairobi and Mombasa cities will remain closed on Wednesday, July 19, Education CS Ezekiel Machogu and his interior counterpart Kithure Kindiki have announced.
The two in a joint statement said the closure is to ensure that pupils and students are safe following intelligence gathered that their lives could be at risk.
"The government has received credible security intelligence that criminal elements planning to unleash terror and violence on the public tomorrow intend to engage in armed skirmishes with security agencies around certain schools within Nairobi and Mombasa cities," the statement read
"The Ministry of Education shall announce the resumption of learning in the aforesaid schools upon assessment of the security situation in the course of tomorrow."
Kindiki had earlier fired a warning shot at those planning to engage in violent demonstrations on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
He assured Kenyans of their safety and urged them to go about their daily business as normal.
"National security agencies have deployed all the available resources to ensure that the scenes witnessed on Wednesday do not happen again. Anyone planning to unleash violence on Kenyans is hereby warned to cease and desist," he said.