Billionaire Singh Rai abducted in broad daylight by 'cops'

A team of police visited Kabras Sugar chairman Jaswant Singh Rai minutes after he was released by his abductors.

The team seeks to talk to Rai more about the incident.

The Star learnt that the billionaire businessman was warned not to discuss whatever happened to him with anyone.

Officials said the team briefly talked to Rai at his Kilimani residence before they allowed him to go to the hospital.

“We hope to talk to him further after he is released from hospital. He looked confused when we talked to him Sunday night,” said one of those aware of the issue.

The officers want to understand what transpired during his abduction, and the possible motive.

Rai, moments after walking into his compound, said he could not recall where he was abandoned by his abductors who had blindfolded him.

His lawyer Senior Counsel Kioko Kilukumi confirmed Rai had been released on Sunday evening.

The lawyer said his client was released on Sunday evening, two days after he was abducted at the junction along Wood Avenue in Kilimani on Friday, August 25.

He said the businessman was shaken but fine and back with his family.

The billionaire went missing when his Toyota Landcruiser was blocked at the junction of Wood Avenue in Kilimani opposite Kenwood Apartments at around 4 pm by persons driving a grey double-cab pick-up.

CCTV footage of the abduction shows four men getting out of the pick-up and forcibly pulling the occupants of the billionaire's car into their vehicle before speeding off towards Galana Road. Rai's car was left idling on the road.

A missing person report was filed at Kilimani Police Station, Nairobi. The family reported a case of a missing person vide OB No 21/26/08/2023.

His daughter made the report on Saturday. Police say they do not know those behind the incident and the motive.

Kilimani police commander Moss Ndiwa said they were informed by a member of the public on Friday that a vehicle had been left abandoned by the roadside in the area.

“This forced traffic police officers to tow the vehicle to the police station. It only had a minor scratch on the front right side where the pick-up had made contact,” he said.

He said they wanted to hear from the victim as part of the probe. CCTV footage revealed how the drama happened.

Police said no contact was made with the family so far from the suspected kidnappers.

No demand for ransom was made before he was released, according to the investigators.

The billionaire owns Raiply, Kabras Sugar and Uganda based Sarrai Group.