The OSCARS Selection Committee Kenya is inviting Kenyan filmmakers to submit their feature films for consideration for the 92nd Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences Awards in the Best International Feature Film Category.
The Kenya Film Commission is officially recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences to set up an Oscars Selection Committee from Industry Associations & Guilds to make submissions for the Best International Feature Film Award on behalf of the Kenyan film industry.
The Oscars Selection Committee Kenya will select the Kenyan film to be submitted for consideration for the Best International Feature Film category award with only one film per country.
If successful at the Academy stage, the film will be considered as nominated. Nominees will then be eligible to compete for The Oscar. Submission from Kenya is NOT equal to a Nomination.
An International Feature Film is defined as a feature-length (over 40min) motion picture produced outside the United States of America with a predominantly non-English dialogue track. Animated and Documentary Feature Films are also permitted.
So in case you’re thinking, here is my grand opportunity to shine, then here is what you need to have to make it to the nominee list.
- Films must have been released for theater screening in Kenya for a period of at least seven consecutive days beginning no earlier than 1st October 2018, and no later than 8th September 2019
- Films must be advertised and exploited during their eligibility run in a manner considered normal and customary to the industry, and need not have been released in the United States
- No type of television or Internet transmission or DVD distribution may have occurred at any time prior to the film’s theatrical release
- The recording of the dialogue track as well as the completed film must be predominantly in a language or languages other than English. Accurate English subtitles are required
- Must meet the technical requirements as stipulated in the Academy Special Rules and Regulations
This is an opportunity for Kenyans to make it to the world maps when it comes to film.
Last time we checked there was a lot of noise from artistes and actors when The Lion King was released. With this opportunity, Kenya might just be recognized and used to create bigger productions and be featured in bigger productions.
So let’s do this. Submit!