Kenyan singer and songwriter, Nikita Kering' has been named as Spotify's Equal Program ambassador for the month of November.
Each month, Spotify names an Equal Ambassador to honor game changers across the industry
Singers who get the opportunity to be ambassadors of the program are known to stand out and showcase high levels of confidence, compassion, and, of course, fierceness in their work in the entertainment industry.
The 20-year-old has shown all of this in spades, having established herself in the music industry at a very young age and bringing home several awards.
Other fellow Kenyan female musicians who have previously been named as ambassadors of the program include Muthoni Drummer Queen and Sylvia Ssaru.
While receiving the honor, Kering expressed her gratitude, saying the platform allows her to highlight some of the experiences women go through, in hopes that gender equity can be achieved in the industry.
"I’m so honored to be the Spotify Africa Equal Ambassador for the month of November. Through this platform, we highlight women’s experiences, in hopes that we can achieve gender equity in the music industry," she said.
Below are five interesting facts you need to know about her:
- Nikita first started performing when she was only three years old.
- As an R&B act, she has won several awards, including 'Best RnB and Soul Artist' and 'Best Female Artist East Africa' at the 2021 All Africa Music Awards. This was after scooping 'Best Female Artist in Eastern Africa' and 'Revelation of the African Continent' at the 2019 edition of the awards.
- Her biggest single, Ex, was one of the most streamed songs in Kenya on Spotify in 2021
- In 2020, she was the youngest performer at the annual Women in Music concert series in Nairobi. The following year, she released her debut EP A Side of Me to rave reviews
- She writes her own music.