Gunna's attorney addresses snitching claims after release

The rapper was released after pleading guilty and entering an Alford plea

has been released from prison
American rapper Gunna has been released from prison
Image: Instagram

American rapper Sergio Giavanni Kitchens popularly known as Gunna has finally been released from Fulton County jail after 7 months of being incarcerated.

The 29-year-old was set free after pleading guilty to conspiring to violate Georgia’s RICO Act after entering an Alford plea.

To simplify it, an Alford plea is a negotiated agreement that allows a defendant to maintain their innocence with the understanding that the evidence gathered by the prosecution would likely result in a guilty verdict.


However, following his release social media streets have been crazy with conspiracies seeing as Yung Thug and other YSL Members are still behind bars.

Rumour mills have been spinning alleging that Gunna cut a deal for himself to snitch on his gang for his freedom.

However, his lawyer has now come out to defend him highlighting that Gunna has said nothing all through and that ain't changing.


“Gunna did not snitch to get out of jail, he has said nothing and is not cooperating.

His plea statement cannot be used in court against any other defendant. So please stop spreading lies.” His lawyer, attorney Steve wrote.

Young Thug the two were arrested in May over RICO Charges
Rappers Gunna on the left and Young Thug the two were arrested in May over RICO Charges
Image: Instagram

After his release Gunna shared a statement through his attorney saying“I have chosen to end my own RICO case with an Alford plea and end my personal ordeal by publicly acknowledging my association with YSL.

An Alford plea in my case is the entry of a guilty plea to the one charge against me, which is in my best interest, while at the same time maintaining my innocence toward the same charge.”

He also made it a point to highlight that in no way was he cooperating against his friend Young Thug or any of the other defendants in the YSL  case and that he'll not be required to take the stand during their respective trials.

“While I have agreed to always be truthful, I want to make it perfectly clear that I have NOT made any statements, have NOT been interviewed, have NOT cooperated, have NOT agreed to testify or be a witness for or against any party in the case and have absolutely NO intention of being involved in the trial process in any way,” Gunna said in the statement.

Following his plea and release, the presiding judge in the case commuted the rapper’s one-year sentence to time served and suspended the remaining four years on the sentence contingent on conditions such as Gunna completing 500 hours of community service.

Gunna turned himself in back in May, after his fellow YSL member and friend Young Thug was arrested.

He requested bail shortly afterward but was denied.

The judge shared concerns that releasing the rapper might endanger witnesses' lives as Gunna can easily command his members to commit crimes on demand.

YSL CEO Young Thug remains incarcerated since his initial arrest in May on charges that include drug possession, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, and possession of a machine gun.

Read also: