Ilagosa Wa Ilagosa.
Image: YouTube

Kenyan gospel singers will hold a memorial service for late compatriot singer Ilagosa wa Ilagosa on Friday at Friend's Church Ngong Road.

Ilagosa died on Friday after being unwell since December.

Gospel singers and his friends have opened two WhatsApp groups, where they are contributing towards giving him a decent send-off.

Before his burial, his friends were also building a house for him in the village.

In Luhya culture, when a dead person is brought from the morgue they have to spend at least one or two nights in the living room of their houses waiting for burial.

Ringtone is mobilising his friends from the industry.

"I am requesting you to also contribute to the other group to build him a house where his body will be kept before his burial."

An undated video of gospel artiste Illagosa Wa Ilagosa claiming he was poisoned emerged after he died.

The video was shared on various social media platforms with Ilagosa claiming he had been poisoned by a servant of God, although he was hopeful that he would pull through.

The 'Sala Zangu' hitmaker said the person who allegedly poisoned him was someone who dedicated their life to the altar.

"They are trying to finish me. A whole adult poisons me then goes ahead to stand on the altar to praise?" the singer said in the video.

Ilagosa died on Friday afternoon while receiving treatment at St Mary's Hospital in Lang'ata. Close sources told Word Is that his sister-in-law Anne Kathambi was his caregiver at the hospital.

"That woman did everything for him, including cleaning him," she said.

Ringtone Apoko contributed over Sh20K after his death for the body to be taken to the mortuary.

"There were many artistes who came after he died," the source said. "Ringtone came a few hours later and he broke down after learning of his demise. In the midst, we were stranded as we did not have money to clear the mortuary fee and he paid about 23k."

More than Sh300,000 has been raised so far. Ilagosa had been in and out of the hospital since December 18.

He had been to hospital twice before his longest admission to St Mary's Hospital.

"After his third admission is when the doctors did a stomach scan and found out it was poison," the source said.

"It had effects on his liver and other internal organs. Out of the shock, he developed high blood pressure and a stroke on his right side. He was fighting everything together."

The source further said that during Ilagosa's last days, he was in so much pain and could not sleep.

"It was nights of crying, no talking, he only said a few words... In his last days, we could only communicate with sign language."

Ilagosa is famous for his song 'Sala Zangu' released five years ago. He also has other collabos with Solomon Mkubwa and Janet Otieno.

The burial date proposed is February 16, subject to confirmation.